Long-Distance U-Boat of the former German Kriegsmarine
The submarines of the IX D2 class were the largest fighter U-Boats of the German Kriegsmarine (Navy) during WW II. They were designed for long distance operations, travelling up to 31,000 nautical miles at an average speed of 10 knots. Due to their size and equipment they were able to remain in constant operation for many months without harbouring. The IX D2 class was mainly employed in the Pacific and East Asian region.
From its clearly defined vent holes, to the minute deck fittings, the U177 surfaces with a detailing that will delight the serious R/C modeller. Every inch of its 6 ½ foot length is a study in realism …
The U177 will run smoothly surfaced, dive to a depth of up to six feet (or more) and run submerged just inches below the surface. It is powered by two electric motors, which propel twin brass propellers. At its heart is a reduction gear system, which delivers power from the motors to the propellers so efficiently there is no excessive strain on the motors, no rapid depletion of the motor battery, thus, reaching a running-time of up to 2 hours.
All components are "made in Germany", including the hull unit and the pressure proof compartment which are made of glass fibre. The pressure proof compartment is reinforced by steel inlays and is glued into the lower hull with the Polyester laminating resin and the Micro-Balloons supplied with the kit.
The dive planes and rudders are all made of resin, pre-drilled and ready for installation.
The kit includes:
• Upper and lower hull, conning tower, bulk head and pressure proof compartment made of glass fibre
• 2 main drive motors with gear box (with ball bearings)
• Props, prop shafts and couplings made of brass
• Rudders and dive planes cast of resin
• Complete set of fittings
• Periscopes to scale, CNC-machined
• Wooden deckings
• All necessary accessories (such as links, screws etc.)
• Ballast keel cast in metal (approx 3,5 kg)
• Diving System (available as TAE and Tmax)
• Instructions and plan in English, fully detailed and drawn 1:1, as well as additional drawings
The standard TAE version of the kit also includes the complete diving system consisting of two Piston Tanks with 750 ml each and electric switch unit TAE2 with AutoStop and AutoTrim.
AutoStop means, that the pumps stop automatically as soon as the tanks are fully emptied or filled.
AutoTrim means, that the model can also be trimmed manually via the AutoTrim feature, which allows you to bring the model into a state of perfect buoyancy (at about 85% piston tank volume).
Dive system Tmax offers a maximum of features for controlling Piston Tanks. In addition to AutoStop and AutoTrim this system allows for proportional fine as well as bow/aft heavy trim of the boat.
All switch units, regardless of system type, are pre-soldered and ready-to-run. All diving systems including the ballast tanks and the switch units have passed rigorous quality and functional checks.
Necessary but not included:
• R/C system: min. 4 channels
• Standard servos: 3
• Speed controller min. 15Amp (2 recommended)
• Lead acid ("dry gel") battery 6V/10Amp
• Receiver battery 4.8-6V
• Polyester Resin and Micro Balloons
• Length 1950 mm (77")
• Width 170 mm (6.7")
• Displacement emerged 16 kg submerged 17,5 kg
• Speed approx. 5,5 km/h (3,5 mph)